How can I get a free dog?
- Fostering a dog: You can work with a local shelter or rescue and take a puppy or dog into your home on a limited basis.
- Visit or volunteer at a dog shelter or rescue: There are many nonprofit, no-kill shelters nationwide that are always looking for dependable and devoted volunteers.
Are there any free pet adoptions?
Sometimes the puppies are free, but in most cases there is a fee for the adoption; this fee covers the cost of vaccinations, spays and neuters, and operating expenses that help to keep the shelter afloat and keep the pets in it happy and healthy.
How can I adopt a cheap dog?
5 ways to adopt a dog on the cheap
- Adopt from a shelter or rescue group instead of a dog breeder.
- Look for rehoming ads in your local newspaper.
- Consider adopting a senior dog, especially during Adopt-A-Senior Pet Month in November.
- Follow your favorite shelter or rescue on social media for deals.
- Ask your local veterinarian about dogs that need homes.
How much does it cost to adopt from a shelter?
The cost of adopting a dog from one of these organizations varies greatly, from zero up to about $250. Petfinder.org, the largest database of adoptable pets, has a policy that the most a shelter can ask for in adoption fees is $250, assuming that any higher costs are profit.