How do I buy a dog safely?
Where to get a puppy
- Consider adoption first.
- Find a responsible breeder and visit the premises.
- Don’t get a puppy from a pet store.
- Don’t believe promises that puppies are “home-raised” or “family-raised”
- Avoid the temptation to “rescue” a puppy mill dog by buying them.
- Do your part: Pledge to help stop puppy mills!
How can I buy a dog online?
Online resources include The Shelter Pet Project (http://theshelterpetproject.org/shelters), Petfinder, and Adopt a Pet (http://www.adoptapet.com/). Adoption fees with animal shelters and rescue groups are usually low. Many animal shelters and rescue groups have websites where you can look at their adoptable pets.
How do you know if a dog breeder is legit?
Ask if the breeder is a member of an AKC-affiliated club and contact that club to verify membership or check recent listings of available AKC Litters from breeders. You can also check with the BBB (www.bbb.org) and the AKC (919-233-9767) to see if there are any complaints about the breeder.
Can you buy animals online?
There is no law as such that can prevent you from buying animals online. I see frequent ads of pets for sale on so-called reputable sites such as Indiamart. So, the answer to your question is – YES. Buying any kind of animal isn’t worth it – be it online or offline.