What to do with a dog you can no longer keep?
Rehoming: What to Do If You Can’t Keep Your Dog
- Tip #1: Talk to Your Dog’s Breeder or Rescue Group.
- Tip #2: Spread the Net Wide.
- Tip #3: Buy Time If You Can.
- Tip #4: Help for Service Members.
- Tip #5: Check Out Potential Adopters.
- Breaking the Adoption Contract.
- Rehoming a Dog with Behavior Problems.
What is the fastest way to rehome a dog?
The fastest way to rehome a dog is to surrender him to a shelter—but that’s not necessarily the best way. While shelters do their best to help the animals in their care, some cannot find homes for every pet.
How do I surrender my pet?
Call 952-HELP-PET (952-435-7738) to schedule an appointment to surrender your pet.
Surrendering a pet
- A driver’s license or other government issued ID.
- Your pet’s surrender form.
- Your pet’s veterinary records.
- Your pet’s surrender fee, listed below.
When should you give up your dog?
Here are options to consider when you must give up your dog:
- Return her to the breeder, shelter, or rescue group you acquired her from.
- Place her with a trusted friend or family member.
- Advertise for someone to adopt her.
- Take her to a good shelter or rescue.
- Have her euthanized.