Where can I give my dog away?
Surrendering your pet to a shelter
If you are not able to find a home on your own, surrendering your pet to a humane society, animal rescue, or municipal animal shelter is a viable option. Consider each organization’s surrender and adoption policies before you give up your dog or cat.
What to do with a dog you can’t keep anymore?
Rehoming: What to Do If You Can’t Keep Your Dog
- Tip #1: Talk to Your Dog’s Breeder or Rescue Group.
- Tip #2: Spread the Net Wide.
- Tip #3: Buy Time If You Can.
- Tip #4: Help for Service Members.
- Tip #5: Check Out Potential Adopters.
- Breaking the Adoption Contract.
- Rehoming a Dog with Behavior Problems.
How do I surrender my pet?
Call 952-HELP-PET (952-435-7738) to schedule an appointment to surrender your pet.
Surrendering a pet
- A driver’s license or other government issued ID.
- Your pet’s surrender form.
- Your pet’s veterinary records.
- Your pet’s surrender fee, listed below.
Can I drop my dog off at a shelter?
Depending on the rules of your local shelter, you can sometimes drop your dog off at an animal shelter, but they may need advanced notice or to follow specific shelter procedures to do so. Once that process is complete, the owner can bring the pet to the shelter, pay the fee, and sign over the dog.